Thursday, June 9, 2011

Dear Eating Alone

I'm often eating alone, thanks to the nature of my work and when I travel, I find myself with less companion choices. Last night, in a foreign city, I again found myself in the familiar world of dining alone. Sure, I could have stayed locked away in my hotel room and ordered room service, and that was definitely tempting but I put on my brave shoes and stepped out into the world instead.

Eating alone is often described as the ultimate test of one's personality. How strong are you to handle it? How much can you stand your own company? Well, sure that's all true but sometimes it's just because you have to and that's the choice your left with. So here are my expert eating alone tips.

1) Take a Book
I know people (Carrie Bradshow included) say it's better to enjoy one's company and without a book, it's more enjoyable. Sure that's fine and all, but after ten minutes of looking around, it gets kinda boring. And yes, people watching is excellent, but your dining companions don't really appreciate you staring at them, like some puppy from the pet store window. Also, having a book allows you to eavesdrop on some pretty good converastions without having to look awkwardly away and pretend to not be doing it.

2) Don't drink heaps
No one wants to be the sad drunk girl eating alone. I'm all for a glass or two, but I think if you're sauced, sitting alone, it can only lead to sad stares from people.

3) Own It
Enjoy the cool factor, because people will notice and if you are enjoying your own company, they'll be jealous, they'll be mystified and they'll think you're pretty cool - especially if you're rocking an accent.

4) Be Friendly to Wait Staff
They're probably admiring your dining efforts so be friendly with them. Listen to the specials, don't whisper ashamedly your order. Don't ever be apologetic about your solo status, don't accept crappy service because you're just one - you deserve their attention just as much!

5) Order Whatever You Damn Well Want
Including, especially dessert. You more than deserve a piece of cake and don't think people will judge badly. In fact, they'll probably love you having cake and think, man I wish I could sit with the cool girl eating cake on her own.

6) Don't Phone a Friend
If you spend the whole meal calling everyone in your phone book, you're not really alone are you? Sure, it can be tempting but then it just reeks of desperation, of the sheer terror of being left alone. Also, how annoying for the person sitting next to you?!

Basically, the rules of eating alone are simple. Do it and enjoy it, relax with a book, eat your meal at the pace you want and don't be rushed by others (take that waitress who tried to rush me and my cake last night) and simply just have a nice time.

No comments:

Post a Comment