Monday, June 17, 2013

Offspring Recap: It's Better, But Then Not Really

After the hell fire and brimstone that I rained down last week on poor little Offspring, I felt moderately bad. But then it seems, I am not alone in my frustrations and as equally important, everyone seems to be sharing the same concerns. Thankfully, this episode does a lot to remedy these major complaints and while, it's getting better - I really have to admit to being on Struggle St with Offspring this season. Honestly, the only reason, I'm horribly and belated recapping at all is because of the fantastic and articulate comments I see from people each week that inspire me to at least give them a home.

So here is a rapid fire pros and cons list of last week. Nina would have to appreciate this.

Pros
Far less Nina crazy times. No flailing wildly like she was barely in control of her body. However, far less crazy time actually meant far less Nina and if solving the problem of your show is removing the lead character, then there is bigger problems to face. I actually also enjoy the counsellor and his presence in Nina's life as a device. I don't even care she day dreams him - that's something that seems realistic as long as she doesn't start talking to him.
Billie Sees the Madness. When Jimmy turned up for a job interview at Proudman, I was panicked. This had all the hallmarks, of moving the family chess pieces around the board to let the insanity continue but hooray no. She realizes that as underwhelming as her skill set is, Jimmy is twice as bad and unreliable and just not appropriate to hire.
Kate's story development. I'm really glad they're starting to acknowledge her back story of domestic violence in both it's relationship to Patrick and also her own future potential relationship. Sure, it could have use more time to breathe, but overall, I'm liking Sister Reid and her sparky personality mixed with an actual story line.

Cons
CHERIE! I know it's supposed to be touching and sad and sweet but LORD, Cherie, get yourself together or at least give the character more story to help us understand why she's running so far, so fast. In three episodes we went from Ray mimicking Doc Martin to Cherie leaving the state on an indefinite road trip. This while declaring her love and confusingly for the young child in her life, pashing the crap out of the father figure that's about to disappear from his life.
Geraldine. I don't care, I find your treatment of the people in your life selfish, vain and without foundation to be the so called heart of the family. I hope Phillip grows a pair and walks!
Hospital professionalism - I really find it hard to swing so wildly, from serious conversations about reporting Patrick and his previous drug problems to the Nurses front desk activity. I hate the forced kooky, zany-ness and the farewell for Cherie was grating and annoying.

I'll keep hanging in there, but now sadly, it's out of a sense of duty rather than enjoyment and I hope Offspring can turn this around. As evidenced by last week's episode there is potential there, it's just hopefully not too late.

13 comments:

  1. I would like to add to the pros.

    Therapy - not only is the therapist great to look at, it also deals directly with some of the issues that surrounded Nina/Patrick last season. Furthermore loved the tennis point scoring analogy.

    Nina/Patrick moment - at the end of the episode where Patrick tells his dad about the baby. You see Nina's face light up - and they share an authentic "moment".

    Gary McDonald - I just love him as an actor and i hope with Darcy gone that it opens up a greater role for Gary.

    Cons - Over doing the small things that were once endearing about Nina / the show. Lets hope that this trend does not continue.

    The Patrick/Intern saga. Please let it be over! I do maintain my theory that she does have a crush but it is on Nina rather than Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree it was not half bad apart from a few bits. Also Felicity even if you don't update I am sure people will be posting comments here:)

    The nurses are of course not meant to be "real life" rather they offer surreal, fly on the wall commentary that heightens to the audience Nina's internal perceptions of herself. But I agree that it isn't always properly admixed with the real issues that the characters face. And fails at points like Nina asking Kim about Eloise just to drive the plot forward. A lot of Offspring is spun around this (like Billie always divining Nina's thoughts), sometimes they pull it off, sometimes they don't.

    Kate Jenkinson and Garry McDonald are always a pleasure to watch. I actually like Linda Cropper-I think her character in this is quite spot on with regard to certain kinds of women from the Baby Boomer generation. Not pleasant but quite real.

    Like with Girls, I am a bit surprised at how white the show is. It is not essential to have a mixed cast but its just a bit sobering that even in a hospital setting in 21st century Australia its hard to write an Asian character. Ah well, some day!

    Fee, I think I read somewhere that Eloise knows Adam so maybe that's all the big reveal is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SombreFilly were did you see that. All good points. I need this Patrick/Eloise theory or whatever it is to be over. It's annoying and ruining the show. But I am enjoying the show still and can't wait to see more of it!

      Delete
    2. Can't remember Christine, think someone on the facebook page mentioned that the app that they have been promoting says so.

      Delete
    3. Yes, where is the multiculturalism?! It's probably one of the obvious flaws in the show yet no one (including me) brings it up because we're too busy with everything else going on in the show. So I'm so glad you brought it up!

      Delete
    4. Owl, I think in the US it is much debated and casts are often mixed, in the UK its fairly routine to have a mix of characters but here it's the same old. If they do put in someone its a stereotype. PTTR has a cartoon Greek character and it is hardly remarked upon. This in a time when The Slap is a modern drama written from a Greek-Australian perspective! Maybe its a small industry but yeah its strange.

      I don't think its necessary to have mixed casts but if its just one more show about white people being quirky, people disengage. No wonder reality shows are popular, at least they reflect the mix of folk you see on a modern city street.

      Delete
  3. Jimmy's hair chart was funny. And I liked nina and Patrick actually had a meaningful moment at the end, without paranoia or zaniness. I'm glad cherie's gone. She lost me when she wanted another child with Darcy and there was no coming back. I liked Kate's story too. I'm just ignoring Eloise. The whole thing is contrived and silly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Felicity - Maybe you can move over to ABCs The time of our lives - only one episode in but I loved it and would definitely follow a blog about that. reminded me a lot of love my way. I think what really appealed was the quality filming and subtle, uncontrived humour which offspring is really struggling with this season.
    I will still be watching Offspring but I may have a new Australian fave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all the ads it was a bit disappointing!

      But I know what you mean, it is relaxed and unforced compared to Offspring this season.

      Delete
    2. No I wasn't disappointed. I liked it and can see promise in a lot of the characters. I particularly enjoyed the Claudia Karvan "gifted child" scenes.

      Delete
  5. Wanted to love time of our life but found it very flat and the acting either wooden or annoying - not a patch on Offspring which is rich and full of laughs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete