Sunday, August 21, 2011

Dear Living Alone

Living alone is awesome! Sure, it's scary and grown-up and really daunting if you have never done it before, but I'm a recent-ish veteran (does that make sense?!) and so I provide this amazing Top 10 Reasons Why Living Alone is Awesome list. Dedicated to those who are brave enough to take the leap!

1. Pyjama Saturday! - If you want, you can spend ALL DAY in your PJ's. Yes, you read that right - all day. No judgement, no eyebrow's raised in question at the 4pm pantry raid in the PJ's.

2. Dinner Choices - sometimes you just want dips and biscuits, or crackers and cheese for dinner. Sometimes you want to eat a whole pizza and then rock on with a block of chocolate. The beauty of living alone - totally your choice.

3. Decorating - Watching couples almost go Jerry Springer on each other at Bunnings has taught me that living alone means I never EVER have to debate how the shade of grey isn't what 'we' talked about.

4. Cleaning - You might be a super clean neat freak or a relaxed I'll get that later person - either way, you'll get to clean or not, in your own damn time.

5. Guests - Sometimes, you might have guests that stay the night - usually just one night, if you catch my drift. And often you want to revoke their invitation the next morning. Living alone means, you can pretend to be a biyatch and kick them out ASAP! No explaining to a room mate who that young man was, just marching orders. [That's what I hear happens Mum.]

6. Fridge - Along with dinner choices, stocking the fridge as a single person is pretty damn fun. My freezer has chocolate cookie dough ice cream and vodka at the moment! Yep, couples are kinda jealous now, I know.

7. Bathroom - Ah, the dreaded turf war over hot water, space, smell. Imagine drifting in and out whenever you feel like it? Imagine an entire mirror and cupboard free to you, to store as many obscene beauty products as you want. Luxury like this - it can happen!

8. Speaking Voice - What? Well, as a single person living alone, you do often talk to yourself (it's fine, enjoy it.) What it gets you: an excellent speaking voice that is primed for meetings/public speaking. Should you ever be called at the last minute to cook on TV, you're set because of all the narrating as you cook time you've gathered.

9. Wine Nights - The cheeky bottle of wine you usually have to share with housemate/partner and end up wishing you could have just one more glass: that's all yours my friend! ALL YOURS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgirOQ-Ll1M
Thank me later!
10. Dancing - Often influenced by 9, put on iTunes and enjoy dancing/singing your heart out! All the moves you wanted to try? Tear it up! All the high notes you were afraid to hit? Go for it. My lounge room has no judgement on my audition piece for So You Think You Can Dance.

Basically living alone is what you make of it. You can become a Howard Hughes shut-in, feel sorry for yourself, get lots of cats and scare family and friends OR you can rejoice in the freedom, love the space and enjoy you, because afterall, if you can't enjoy your own company, how do you expect other people to?

2 comments:

  1. haha dinner choices = love. I had the house to myself for a week and I swear for a whole day all I ate was toasted cheese sandwiches.

    Cheese and ham... and at dinner time i even made a nutella one... Reason behind it? I felt like it and didn't feel like cooking HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived by myself for a few years and LOVED it! Except when there were scary noises outside my window in the middle of the night, then I wished there was someone else there aside from my overactive imagination.

    But a good 98% of the time it rocked, especially since I was pretty busy socially and it offered me a place of calm refuge where I could have spaghetti on toast five nights in a row with no judgement, or eat dessert for breakfast, and I could walk around just in my underwear whenever I wanted, and I didn't have to worry about toilet-related noises at all! Oh, and I loved knowing that if I put something tasty in the fridge it would be there the next time I felt like it.

    But mostly I loved that I could do what I wanted, when I wanted, with whomever I wanted - I was in control of my life and loved it. I didn't think I'd ever live with a housemate again, and I didn't - along came future husband and since I could stand him being in my space, and actually quite enjoyed it, figured he could stick around :)

    ReplyDelete