Monday, August 29, 2011

Dear Writing The Next Phase

I promised to keep you up to date on the book/writing front and as promised an update. After another big re-draft which involved bringing a character back from the dead and major plot corrections, The Proclaimed is done (for the time being).

Right now, she's out with some people who haven't read her before. In a more frightening development, these people are people who review books every day, who see things in this exact field and whose judgement I've seen and trusted before and who are the key audience that I am writing for. Basically, if they hate it, we're in real trouble!

Despite that thought lingering over my head, I'm getting ready in the next week or so to start the contact the agent and beg for representation phase. Why is that the scariest thing so far - because really, they do hold the power. They are the gatekeepers to the publishers I would like to be published by and how I end up as author will be greatly influenced by their acceptance or rejection.

I did though, have a thought - what if in the cold dark night, if I had rejections from all corners of the globe, would it defeat me? I can happily say no. More than anything, I want to share my characters and my stories. I was watching the twitter feed today reacting to both Hunger Games movie teaser and Melbourne Writers' Festival sessions and I thought, man I wish I could have that. And not for the fame factor, I really want to debate Bennett's behaviour, to discuss Meg as a character and why the whole story is about the big question of good vs evil and what being a foot soilder in that fight means.

So, know this - some way, some how you will be able to read The Proclaimed. It might be in a book format, or something similar but it might on this very site and either way, I'll be more happy to share my creation with you!

PS Also, I've got a tonne of ideas for Book Two in The Proclaimed and almost more than Book One, I'm desperate to get it out and share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment