Thursday, June 28, 2012

Offspring Recap: Fifty Shades of Stupid Plot Device Grey

To kick off, apologies for the delayed recap. I was at a function thing, and then arrived home mid-way through the episode and three sheets to the chardonnay wind, and not ready to recap after a troubling ending (not mine, the episode.)

We start the episode with the Proudman sisters attempting to work out, hoping, irrationally that by working out the day before their big events, it will make all the difference. Billie, when chatting with the gym dude, is super honest, Nina in denial. And we’re all left wondering why either one of them are actually at a gym, but neither of them needs to work out – ever!

Can you believe we have to actually exercise for this 'joke' to work?
The Proudman vortex continues to drag people in one by one, with Doc Dad and Patrick’s sister now meeting up and planning a reunion, which when Nina hears of this freaks her out! She drops by Fitzroy Jesus cafe to apologise for the sleeping with the ex-boyfriend and then having ex-boyfriend interrupt their night of fishes and loaves and gospel scriptures. But he’s perked up today and doesn't share a Jesus like compassion, or offer any forgiveness.

No, you can't have a discount on the Coffee Keeper Cups.
Doc Martin is trying to be all relaxed and cool in an effort to lure Cherie to his DNA but of course it’s weird and over the top. Lachy Hulme though is hilarious and continues to be an underrated asset of the Offspring wider family.

With this lustrious mane, she still doesn't want to sex me up. It's crazy man!
Patrick and Nina run through the top moments of their relationship by having a stilted conversation in the locker room. He questions why she is moving strangely (which she is, because apparently a bit of rowing, then treadmill will put your back out). I think she’s moving strangely because you broke her heart, Clam Patrick.

Um, this is awkward, but I've always hated your scarves. Just wanted to say it.
Mick has turned into shady, non information husband and it annoys the CRAP out of me. Where is the man who wanted to marry her desperately, he who stood up to his bitchface mother and dealt with their infertility with equal parts emotion and honesty. I wonder, would the story for this season have been laid down differently if Kat Stewart’s pregnancy hadn't sent her to New Zealand for so long.

Zara of the independence and don’t even think about helping me, is back on deck and spends a few scenes dismissing and almost physically repealing any attempt to assist her with this new motherhood caper, be it emotional or actual help.

Patrick and Nina deliver a baby together (top moment 8) and a few tense moments of maybe the baby is stuck, give way to happy birth and to GIANT ENORMOUS HIT YOU ON THE HEAD foreshadowing that Nina is preggers.

Shall we call her Foreshadowing or Renesmee?
And we're out on the Chris Havel Balcony (top moment 16). Nina lets slip that they're heading out bowling to fare Patrick well and there is some sexy 'pulled your shoulder' chat. Basically a lot of saying nothing when there is everything to say, so really, it’s business as usual for these two.

Back at Nigella Billie Lawson's house of fancy dinner, Feisty Orange and kid rock up with a new Rocket 2 as a present. It's a super loaded present of family awkwardness and I think this even before Billie mentions it.
I bought a new dog, did you buy a new dog Billie? Didn't think so.
Mick then remembers that after Billie spent hours cooking, their guests are vegetarians. Of course, Feisty is super nice about it but Mick seems not too upset that he’s wasted his wife’s attempt to make friends. There is more awkward we're so alike and yet so different and Mick does fuck all because he clearly doesn’t want his future infidelity complicated by, you know, seeing the two women together and getting along.

Last time I listen to Donna Hay - stupid lemon water
After Feisty Orange is gone, Rocket 2 causes friction and then Mick overreacts about Billie's standard style questioning, then turns into a jackass by trying to lump this on her and making it a Billie issue and acting like he’s all cool and not guilty of wanting to jump Feisty Orange. The following day, Mick becomes an even bigger jackass by passively aggressively returning Rocket 2 and then huffily telling her he is going to tour with Feisty, lump it or leave it. JERK!

Excuse me while I get my dickhead t-shirt, so it can match my I am a jerk pants.
At bowling, there is great disappointment on my part that they don't join in the chorus of Let's Bowl from Grease 2.

Patrick the Bowler!: I wanna Score Tonight.
After a bowling montage that must have been fun to film, we get awkward goodbye speeches and Nina nuttiness. We also have continued Doc Martin trying to be cool until Nurse Kim of Truth, calls him on it and I still don't believe Cherie is being such a douchebag about this. Finally in the last few seconds of the episode after not really seeing each other all season Cherie springs it on Darcy that she wants his spawn again. Because looking around her at the Proudman mania, she is totally not scared of reproducing more of this type of hyper aware crazy.

Don't forget Cherie, I was this big!
After a fake out hug between Nina and Patrick we get a catch up in the car park and the iPhone of Doom beckons with a friendly Patrick wanting a proper goodbye. They bond over their interfering relatives.

Smiles, laughs, lemonade - HAPPY FREAKING TIMES!
And then we launch into the most annoying conversation, that inspires season one level of frustration that I have with Offspring. Patrick talks about the fact that his sister has a black and white view (bullshit!), and that their relationship is more grey. I’ll you what Patrick and Nina, it’s Fifty Shades of Stupid Dumb Grey. They both agree that while they intensely, deeply, love each other – this love brings out the worst in each of them. Which is news to me! We only saw the worst Patrick when he thought after getting Nina back, that he'd lost her again. So basically he is at his worst without her! And Nina, while justified in calling him on his shit and breaking up with him, isn’t exactly a mess when she’s with him.

Even saying the line hurts me.
In fact, we did see some genuine growth and development from these two early this season and while issues needed to be addressed, I honestly don’t buy this line bullshit, and I wasn’t alone in this. So much so the writer had to justify the line on twitter today and the justification actually, for me, made it worse. It became a ‘drama’ in the way Grey’s Anatomy in the later seasons has become, moving people in and out of relationships for ‘drama’ and ‘tension’. It’s happening with Mick and Billie and it’s happening with Nina and Patrick and they’re doing a piss poor job of completely justifying the character's choices for both couples, for me. People can stay together and have interesting and real problems without breaking up or cheating!! PHEW rant over.

Meanwhile, Poor Zara, has a complete furniture break down and realises that she can’t do it alone. Zara then heads to the lost souls Mecca aka the Proudmans house, and curls up to The Brother seeking both physical comfort and the warming shell of living with your ex-boyfriend's parent and colleague's family. The following day as the usual cacophony of Proudman madness occurs, Zara wakes up and confronts them all and opens a mega truth bomb on everyone! I LOVE HER, I want her to live there forever if this is the kind of Proudman honesty we're going to get. In fact, I kind of want her to recap the show instead of me. She'd do it in three sentences and make perfect sense of it all, while I'm still busy banging my head against my iPad.

Dear Proudmans Extended: SORT YOUR SHIT OUT!
Nina spies on Fitzroy Jesus and then confronts him, explaining now is not the time for them both. Again Fitzroy Jesus, is a little less forgiving, a little bit more having of a spine. He does cave a little, but then Nina, at his urging for the truth and not cliché, gives my favourite break up line of all time 'your niceness will forever be exploited and you'll be eternally frustrated.'

Post break up, Nina returns home for a bath of discovery and becomes a TV/movie cliché the world over by checking her diary to see if she missed a period!! As in she writes the letter P in her diary - right next to the scribbled love heart of her name under Harry Styles. Seriously, who does this?!

P is for period, P is for pregnancy, P is for Patrick!

And secondly, CALLED IT!!!! ABSOLUTELY CALLED THIS PREGNANCY PLOT DEVICE WEEKS AGO.

19 comments:

  1. Hahaha classic "dont forget Cherie I was this big".

    Firstly – great call on the pregnancy! When did you first predict it???

    It is my wish that she isn’t pregnant but rather thinks she is as a plot device to confront Patrick about his fears. He finds out, faces his fears, and then is disappointed when it turns out to be a false alarm. Voila they get back because they are no longer living in each other’s pockets at the hospital, and they realise how they can’t function without each other.

    If she is confirmed as pregnant, I can only imagine the hilarity that Nina would bring to ‘baby brain’, morning sickness, and physical comedy around a belly. I also think that it is a storyline that isn’t told often. The ‘not so‘ happy reality where it can be a lonely and even isolating prospect of doing it alone (even with a supportive baby-daddy). There are so many single mums out there and it would be nice for their story to be told. If she is pregnant I do not want them to get back together out of obligation or as a knee jerk reaction (and play happy families without dealing with the Patricks issues). I can’t see the writers allowing the ‘make-up’ road being that easy though.

    Secondly, that episode was sad! The only happy moment for me was when Nina was up front with Adam. Ok and perhaps when Zara goes to the Proudman family home. Other than that the car park goodbye was depressing! When he kissed her hand…..tragic! No other word for it. However I guess, again it reflects that sometimes, for some people, love isn’t enough.

    Thirdly, I do expect for things to be resolved at the end of this season. Pregnant or not? Do they get back together or not? I read an article with one of the writers and she said that in every season they try and create an ending (so if it isn’t renewed, fans won’t be cheated).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fee, I pegged the pregnancy line a few weeks back when Billie skyped from New Zealand and commented on Nina apparently giving her a lot of cleavage. It was such a throw away line that was clearly put there for a reason.

      It was a sad episode, I agree. The break up would have actually been really sad if it rang true and I'm sure people actually have this discussion and mean it but it just feels manufactured.

      I think I read the same article on MamaMia and that made me happy. I was also happy to see TV Tonight that while not confirmed, the steady ratings and good response to this season, is a good sign to a pick up.

      Delete
  2. That Black and White line. 18 year old post break up journal lines. And the grey tones of Offspring - manufactured not genuine.

    I agree. We are told a character is something or the other. But nothing suggests this.

    I suspect people watch because they are invested in Asher and Matt playing these characters regardless of strange plot twists.

    And agree. Lachy Hulme is awesome. Ditch Cherie and have webisodes entirely on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! The black and white line is very 'look how deep I'm being with my understanding adult relationships!' That's what gets me so angry about it. Here was a complex adult relationship that had potential to work and they've reverted 'DRAMA' and 'CLIFFHANGERS'

      Delete
    2. There was an interview with Asher where she said she was keen on Nina staying in a relationship. Stupid me thought that meant: Not fairytale ending. Not break up. Just the issues that come up in a serious relationship like work, family, space and the like with two intelligent adults. Instead as you say we get DRAMA! And clunky clues indicating that all the angst is about a baby (why the angst, wasn’t it dealt with it in the last season). Am sure more than a few people are going Aaarghhh!

      Disappointing only because this show has more potential and can't trust its audience. They are lucky that the actors bring some credibility to the sloppy bits.

      Anyway love your posts and its mixture of snark, joy and analysis!

      Delete
    3. The actors are great! I want to see another scene where Nina is drunk! Asher did an amazing job. Personified every slightly messy girls night out I have ever been on.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for your recaps, I’ve loved following them through the series. I totally agree with every word of your rant, I feel cheated we only got to see Nina and Patrick happy together for a scant 4 episodes at the start of the season, and yes definitely there are plenty of opportunities for drama and character growth within a long term relationship, the writers didn’t need to break them up to create drama. If they do reconcile (please please please reconcile) it will need to be one heck of a sensational reconciliation to satisfy me!

    What would it take to get Patrick to open up to Nina? They’ve already thrown everything at him – those heart wrenching voicemail messages after Nina’s big night out, his ex-wife shows up with scrapbook, his sister’s needling, Clegg has had a go at him, Patrick’s reaction/lack of to Alfie’s emergency premature delivery, and in this most recent episode, I think they should have played much more of the delivery of the baby for Louise and Stef – this was after all the couple who got Nina and Patrick together in season 2 when they were in a car crash and their baby was stillborn, this episode and their new baby was their happy ending, and yet Patrick still doesn’t open up to Nina! I would love to see Patrick sit down with Nina and show her the scrapbook Jodie gave him, and TALK to her.

    Michael Lucas was on twitter yesterday, explaining to Mia Freedman (and the rest of us) why they broke up – thank goodness he did because I still wasn’t sure. But I still don’t really get why the night in the motel room? In the hospital garden he told her he needed some space, Nina initially took it well and offered to go to her Mum’s for the night, Patrick said “no, I don’t want to take this home” – what is the “this”? Because when Nina followed him to the motel to tell him the complaint against him was dismissed, he said “no, that’s not why I am here” and “you’re not listening” – well Patrick, I watched it again online, and I listened, and I still don’t get it! (I have been hoping it was his son’s birthday which he wouldn’t/couldn’t/stupidly didn’t share with Nina)

    Maybe I shouldn't be quite so emotionally invested in a tv show and fictional characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks I just had a look at twitter. The explanation is also in Felicity's words - 'look how deep I'm being with my understanding adult relationships!'

      I am not invested in a Nina-Patrick forever. But the conflict should make sense. Which I don't think it is at the moment.

      Delete
    2. I think it' so interesting that as ardent Offspring fans we're all in outrage at this badly handled relationship break up. I think one of the things I was most looking forward to this season was not Patrick and Nina being all lovey dovey but an actual adult relationship, with trials and tribulations, instead of on/off/on/off. I really hoped for better.

      There was also an interesting article in today's Sunday Herald Sun in which the columnist also mentioned some confusion of why Patrick and Nina broke up.

      Basically, we are not alone!

      Delete
    3. Agreed. A reflection of an adult relationship would be nice. I mean the challenge of working together and living together was touched on (but nowhere near enough IMHO) in the whole 4 episodes they were depicted as being happy??

      To be honest what I got out of the 'break up' was that the Patrick character is clearly more f'ed up than first thought. More baggage than Qantas ?? Hmm sound familiar ;)

      In any case, they are certainly building the suspense for the finale...Despite my disapproval of the break up, I have to say that the writers are doing their job (for me anyway). The fact that I want them to get back together so badly says a lot. Mediocre writing would mean I wouldn't care one way or another.

      Delete
    4. I had a quick peek at TV Week this morning(facepalm moment!).

      Public declaration of love and "manning up" forthcoming? Or all just a fantasy like S1? That's what it says. Oh and Asher looks lovely in period costume!

      Fee I thought the writers are making a hash of S3 - and not just with Nina and Patrick, a lot of the characters aren't fleshed out. But both Asher and Matt have done a great job on it - it used to be the Nina show but seems more Nina and Patrick now which is why people care (my two bits).

      Delete
    5. Oh really?? Public declaration of love AND manning up? I remain sceptical. It would provide a contrast to the other sad tear jerking moments that have been implied online though. Wait…no... I will not get sucked in again! If I don't get my hopes up I can't be disappointed.

      I do agree that it is a bit more of the Patina (Patrick and Nina) show these days. Maybe I am just shallow and like the perv value that P brings to the show :) In saying that, I think I can relate in a weird way as I have seen and experienced break ups that didn’t make sense and were avoidable.

      I for one am going to be very interested to see how they explore Billy and Zara in the future. I really love how raw Kat Stewart acts, and would be interested to see how she copes (when) Mick cheats (and she is presumably single). Look out fictional Melbourne singles!

      With Zara (I don’t know the character’s name), I thought the actor did a great job of 'breaking down' in her apartment. I for one would love to see her character develop further. For example, where has her family been in this whole process?? Have I missed something? Why is she so guarded?

      Delete
    6. I only had a very quick peek so I maybe wrong. Not sure TV Week is any more revealing than Channel ten ads!!! I think Patrick is not cookie-cutter leading man and he seems to bring both softeness and moodiness to the role-and complements Nina. So I guess perve factor does play a role!

      I guess part of Offspring's job is also to look pretty :D

      Kat Stewart is amazing. And Jane Harber (Zara) is good too. Yes there are a lot of other strands to be explored.

      Let's see how the last 2 eps are!

      Delete
    7. Just had a thought....Did TV week specify who was making the declaration of love and manning up? Are we sure it isn't Jimmy?

      Delete
    8. Yes, it's Patrick, how much can I say here about Tv week article without anyone getting upset about revealing spoilers?

      Delete
    9. Maybe just don't say anything further. The idea of him manning up and a public declaration of love is enough for me. At the end of the day TV week is just a newsagency peek away ;)

      Plus, it doesn't really guarentee Nina will go for it all anyway.

      Delete
  4. Holy crapola! Has anyone seen the clip that was posted on the FB Offspring page? I think I am going to need some tissues next week....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it Fee, and yep, it's going to be a sad one! My mother is a midwife and often she calls me post episode with her medical anaylsis of the show - it's most entertaining.

      Delete
    2. Haha I can only imagine what your mother has to say about the medical dipiction of it all.

      I will be locking myself away for this episode with a hot chocie, tissues, and a doona.

      Delete