Friday, May 27, 2011

Dear The Moment for Buffy

There is always a moment. A moment when you go from being a casual fan, to a fully immersed fanatic. It could be a book, a movie, a TV show - anything really. It's that moment, that your brain clicks and you become really connected to the characters, you become big time invested in what they do, how they're treated and how they let themselves be treated.

Buffy is for me, still one of my very most favourite shows - ever! I can actually proudly say I was a fan before it was really cool to like Buffy. I would stay up at late to watch episodes shown months after the US had seen them. And there was a moment that turned me. The moment that made me write fan-fiction, the moment that made me learn to write basic HTML (yep, I was an undercover tech nerd girl) and create a Buffy fan site (The Stacks and hosted by Geocities - God I'm old).

That moment:



It's just heartbreaking. The crack in her voice, the honest despair at facing death when most people her age are full of life, the desperation of being locked into her fate.

This is That Moment that turned me into an uber Buffy because I loved the idea of a hero so vulnerable, a hero who despite getting to rock Whedon gems every week, was still a sixteen year old high school student who didn't want to die. It is something I still carry with me today (especially in my writing!).

I'll explore more Moments with other fandoms I'm invested in but I want to ask, what was your moment? For any fandom?

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, you're going to make me cry watching that - and I never cry! Unless it's Buffy, which brings me to tears in multiple episodes no matter how many times I watch them (season seven wheelchair fight/hospital scene, anyone?)

    I can't recall the exact moment I became a hardcore fan. I mean, there are so many! I have seen this series upwards of five times now and it's just so hard to pick one moment.
    I love the episode Passion - It wasn't the one that got me in(I was hook line and sinker by then) but its such an emotional episode.
    No, I definitely can't pick ONE moment. Can I pick them all?

    But I adore this scene - it's so raw and real. Joss Whedon is a genious.

    ReplyDelete