Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dear TV Crushes from the early to mid 2000's

Joshua Lyman (Bradley Whitford), The West Wing

As I got older, so did my men and so did their problems. Welcome to the complicated, hilarious, determined, arrogant, egotistical, vulnerable world of one Joshua Lyman. A man whose swagger both literal and metaphoric created a legion of female fans. If men were to have a 'smart' sex symbol in the 90's with Dana Scully, the ladies got their own back in the mid-2000's with Josh Lyman.

Thanks to the amazing words from Aaron Sorkin and the Peter Pan infused performance from Bradley Whitford, Josh was everything I desired - wait, still desire. He was wounded and brooding on occasion, whipfast smart always and that perfect balance of ego driven brilliance (as opposed to being ego driven jackass) and vulnerable man with wounded soul. Often described by his peers as the best among them (just never to his face), he only ever wanted to be the 'guy' that other could depend on and at times worked himself to extremes to achieve this goal.

Then of course, there was his Girl Friday inspired romance with his assistant Donna Moss. It was seven years of banter fuelled fun and misinterpretations and while it killed me as a fan, it never became old or Ross and Rachel-esque. At the conclusion of this amazing show, the interview Bradley Whitford and Janel Maloney did with Backstage magazine, basically summed up their relationship.

"In our relationship, I was always the hotshot Washington kid who needed a lot of ego to function, and people assumed I was in charge--when the truth was I couldn't have done anything without her."
-- Bradley Whitford
"I decided early on that this was a passionate, deep love relationship where my character was mad, head over heels in love."
-- Janel Moloney

He was also sporting possibly the sexiest white man backside in TV at the time. And ladies who know, will support me that when he rolled up his sleeves to get to work, those forearms - WOWSER! And those dimples to this very day, still kill me.

Logan Echolls (Jason Dohring), Veronica Mars

From one damaged man to another! Logan was more snark, more sarcasm and more deep vulnerabilities thanks to a completely messed up family. But boy did he love our legendary Veronica, who challenged his masochistic tendencies and loved him inspite and maybe because of his failings.

From the wealthy side of Neptune, with an abusive alcoholic, sleeping with your girlfriend murdering father and a missing presumed dead mother, he was bound to be messed up. But with Veronica, he was slightly calmed without ever being a converted puppy dog. He was always acting first thinking later, from his blind early hatred of Veronica based on misunderstandings, to carrying a gun to protect her from thugs who meant harm. Of course, he had an acid tongue which could be both hilarious and harsh and cause humour and heartbreak and when he wasn't being the best badass boyfriend around, he could be plotting your downfall just as easily.

The first two seasons of Veronica Mars, were chock full of the epic romance of LoVe (Logan and Veronica's portmanteau) from secret romances, to surprise party discoveries to make out session in girls bathrooms to violent (for the Mars lounge lamps only) breakups and then anti-prom declarations. And you know what, Wikipedia agrees with me, Logan Echolls is referenced in both Breakout Character status and Supercouple - that's a gold stamp of TV Crush approval right there.

8 comments:

  1. Shut UP!

    I loved Josh and Donna! Though I loved them more when they were angsty and snarky boss/secretary than when they did finally hook up. I actually also had a small (and mildly off) crush on Toby. I don't know ... he was just so sarcastic and hot-tempered and good with words! When he bounced his stress ball I'd get all heart-fluttery.

    And Logan Echolls! Holler! I was so pissed at Channel Ten for dicking around with VM - I ended up waiting to buy the DVD's from Amazon just to watch them all uninterrupted and without bad scheduling. I loved Logan ... now that was love/hate angst, right there! I wish we'd had a 4th season just to see them figure things out ... because leaving-off with Veronica and 'Piz' just about killed me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How to have your husband back home with your kids again

      I'm a lady with 2 kids i am from USA, my husband leave me and his 2 kids for about 10 months i go through a lot of pain i do all i could to make him returned to me and to his kids but nothing works out. it was really a stressful period to me because i could dint go through the heartbreak. i was told to get a love spell doctor contacted to help me out which i did i was lucky to get DR.PEPOKO Contact who was able to help me out, he cast up a love spell that brought back my husband to me and to his kids thanks so much DR. PEPOKO I really appreciate what you have done for me. here he his contact if you may required for it by solving your relationship email. Pepokospiritemple@gmail.com or you can call and whatssap him +2348156148821
      Here is also Dr. PEPOKO website you can visit it yourself www.pepokospiritemple.blogspot.com




      How to have your husband back home with your kids again

      I'm a lady with 2 kids i am from USA, my husband leave me and his 2 kids for about 10 months i go through a lot of pain i do all i could to make him returned to me and to his kids but nothing works out. it was really a stressful period to me because i could dint go through the heartbreak. i was told to get a love spell doctor contacted to help me out which i did i was lucky to get DR.PEPOKO Contact who was able to help me out, he cast up a love spell that brought back my husband to me and to his kids thanks so much DR. PEPOKO I really appreciate what you have done for me. here he his contact if you may required for it by solving your relationship email. Pepokospiritemple@gmail.com or you can call and whatssap him +2348156148821
      Here is also Dr. PEPOKO website you can visit it yourself www.pepokospiritemple.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. Don't even get me STARTED on the debacle that was 'Piz'. I want the movie with Veronica as an FBI agent that's been rumoured for SO long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Felicity - in a perfect world, we'd get the 'Veronica Mars' movie AND the 'Arrested Development' movie in the same year. BOOM - blew your mind, didn't I? Dream on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That year would be the year of the squee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi viewers online, I'm Alfonso Vázquez from Mexico. I'm here to share my testimony about how i was helped to get my wife back. I was a cheat and my wife caught me several times. I tried fixing myself and each time i ended up cheating over and over again. I guess i didn't realise what she meant to me until she had left me alone. I began to find a way to get her back but nothing seems to work out perfectly till i came across an article about Lord Zakuza who helped a lot of people globally to get their relationships back. I made contact with him on his WhatsApp number via +1 740-573-9483 and he assured me that my wife will come back to me within 48 hours with his powerful magics and i paid 410 Euros for the materials needed for the work. Surprisingly, my wife came back home after 2 days saying that she still loves me and i swore never to cheat on her anymore. All thanks to Lord Zakuza. Email him via ( lordzakuza7@gmail.com ) or WhatsApp number via +1 740-573-9483.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete


  7. Good news!

    Do you need an urgent loan to settle all kinds of debt? If you need any urgent credit please contact us today. We issue loans ranging from $ 2,000 dollars to $ 100,000,000.00 dollars to any interested individual, boards, schools, churches, with a minimum interest rate of 2% per annum. contact loan processing officer using your corporate email: (inforamzanloan@gmail.com) God Bless

    ReplyDelete