Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Dear Reality Dating Shows

I’m not ashamed to admit, but Reality Dating Shows, I really like you. From the awwh sucks, humble approach of Farmer Wants a Wife to the fame-whoring desperation of The Bachelor/The Bacherlotte, you keep me highly, highly amused.

Farmer Wants a Wife, you are the quite achiever of genre. Despite my cynical outlook, and abhorrence that to seem country, host Natalie must always were flannel. I kinda, almost believe the intent to match make a couple is genuine. From the Farmers, who range in age and also attractiveness, to the ladies/fellas competing for their attention, everyone seems sincere about wanting to find love, and actually somewhat believe in the process and that it actually might help them find love. With good reason too, because Farmer’s strike rate is pretty impressive and I’ll admit it, come finale time, I am absolutely following at least one couple and hoping that weddings and babies are in their near rural future.

 At the complete opposite end of the spectrum The Bachelor and Bachelorette contain every failed/aspiring singer, actress, actor, wannabe host, and soon to be Playboy playmate hoping to find the elusive fifteen minutes anyway they can. Every scene, date and scenario is completely scripted and all competitors (because they are trying to win) are plied with alcohol at every given opportunity to help keep their desperation levels right there at the superficial surface.

And I love it, I love the squealing the women do, I love the macho posing of the men, the personality conflicts, the villains, the heroes all very carefully edited for me to react to. And yet still, every season one or two contestants make me support them. I adored Trista and Ryan way back when, and am so glad to hear they are still together years later. This season, I’m all for adorkable Chris to win Ali’s heart on The Bachelorette.

So basically, I’m a sucker. I’ll take any form of manipulated reality TV romance, anyway I can get it. Be it earnest and of honourable intention, or juicy, dirty and desperate, I’m hoping for tears, heartaches and true love. Come on Reality Dating Shows, give me the final rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment